International Security, Leaders’ Role in International Politics, Political Psychology
Address: Room 119 , Xin Jian Bldg, No. 1954 Hua Shan Road, Xujiahui, Shanghai 200030, P. R. C
Ruolin Su is assistant professor of international relations at the Shanghai Jiao Tong University. She holds a Ph.D. in Political Science from the University of Pennsylvania. She studies international security and political psychology, focusing in particular on political decisions relating to the use of force. Her research, both in English and in Chinese, has been published in a variety of prestigious journals in international relations, including the International Security, The Chinese Journal of International Politics, Journal of Chinese Political Science and World Economics and Politics (《世界经济与政治》). Her teaching interests include the causes of war and peace, international security, international relations theory, and leaders’ role in international relations.
University of Pennsylvania
International Security Studies; Politics and International Relations Theory; Qualitative Method
1. Su, Ruolin, “Wars of Choice: Leaders, Rebellion Legacy and Domestic Unrest,” The Chinese Journal of International Politics, Forthcoming.
2. Su, Ruolin, “Risk Preference in Foreign Policy Decision-Making: Concept and the Formation Process,” Quarterly Journal of International Politics, Vol. 6, No. 4, 2021. (in Chinese)
3. Su, Ruolin, “Domestic Unrest Severity and Diversionary Target Selection,” World Economics and Politics, No. 8, 2021. (in Chinese)
4. Su, Ruolin and Wensong Shen, “Is Nationalism Rising in Times of the COVID-19 Pandemic? Individual-Level Evidence from the United States,” Journal of Chinese Political Science, Vol. 26, No. 1, 2021, doi:10.1007/s11366-020-09696-2.
• Selected in the Research Highlights from China collection by Springer Nature.
5. Su, Ruolin, Alexander B. Downes, and Lindsey A. O’Rourke, “Correspondence: Reconsidering the Outcomes of Foreign- Imposed Regime Change,” International Security, Vol. 42, No. 3, 2018, doi:10.1162/ISEC_c_00309.
6. Su, Ruolin and Shiping Tang, “Mutual Binding: Central Mechanism of Alliance Management,” Journal of Contemporary Asia-Pacific Studies, No. 3, 2012. (lead article) (in Chinese)
• Reprinted in The Reprints of International Politics Papers by the Renmin University of China, No. 11, 2012; and Chinese Social Science Net, January 7, 2013.
Expertise & public engagement:
Affiliated Researcher of Institution of Politics and Economics, Shanghai Jiao Tong University
Affiliated Researcher of Area Study and Data Science Lab, Shanghai International Studies University